Visas, Permits, and Immigration

Due to recent IRCC changes, please see Updated International Application Process.

Studying and moving to a new country can be a bit overwhelming. On this page, we have pulled together all the relevant information for those looking to study, work, and immigrate to Canada.

NBCC is here to support international students as they navigate the Canadian immigration system and the information on this page has been reviewed by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). Be aware, however, that immigration policies can change without notice. For the most current and accurate information, you should always refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website: Study in Canada as an international student -

Kindly note that the information on this page does not, and is not intended to constitute legal advice, and instead all information, content and material is for general information purposes only. Students are solely responsible for their own research and legal advice in order to ensure that they are in compliance with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations in order to gain entry to and at all times during their time in Canada, including, but not limited to, any medical or study and work permit related requirements. 

For more information on opportunities to stay permanently in the Province of New Brunswick, please visit With an abundance of exciting career opportunities, over 12,000 annually and counting, New Brunswick is recruiting skilled people, like you, who want to grow in a province where their unique knowledge, culture, and perspectives are valued.


Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) made an announcement on January 22, 2024, that will directly impact prospective international students who wish to study in Canada. You can review the IRCC news release here.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will be setting a cap on the number of study permit approvals issued for a two-year period (2024-2025). The New Brunswick cap will be provided to the provincial government and the province will distribute the New Brunswick cap amongst the designated learning institutions in New Brunswick, including NBCC.

As part of this cap implementation, as of January 22, 2024, all study permit applications will require a letter of attestation from the province. Provinces have until March 31, 2024, to establish a process to issue these letters of attestation.

At this time, you should not submit a study permit application until you have received additional information from NBCC about the process for requesting a letter of attestation.

Learn more about the following topics to better help prepare yourself for your journey to Canada.

International Student Immigration Information Sessions

NBCC hosts live information sessions with our International Immigration Advisor, who is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). This is an opportunity for prospective students to ask questions and learn more about the immigration process in Canada. These 30-minute sessions will provide you with all the information you need about navigating the Canadian immigration system. Click here to view upcoming information sessions and watch past recordings. 


The resources and guide below have been created by NBCC’s International Immigration Advisor to best prepare our students to navigate the immigration process.

Study Permits

If you are planning to study in Canada for a period of more than six months, you will require a study permit. A study permit is a document that gives you permission to remain and study in Canada. You will need a study permit to cover the entire duration of your studies and you must comply with its conditions.

Study Permits and TRVs
Be advised that a study permit alone does not authorize entry into Canada. Follow this link to find out if you need a visa to enter Canada.

Applying for a Study Permit

Once you have received a letter of acceptance from New Brunswick Community College, it is necessary to begin applying for a study permit. Canadian overseas visa offices handle paper applications for study permits. You will need to check which visa office, or visa application centre, is responsible for your region. Check how to apply.

A study permit application can be launched in your country of residence (provided you have been lawfully admitted in that country for a period of more than six months), or through the Visa Application Centre in Los Angeles, USA. Depending on your citizenship, you may be able to apply at a Canadian Port of Entry, and in some cases you may even apply from within Canada.

Main Requirements

Among other requirements, you will need to demonstrate that you or your family has sufficient proof of funds to cover your tuition costs and other expenses, such as your food and accommodation, while you remain in Canada.

  1. Proof of Funds
    Number of persons Required Funds
    Single Student $10,000 for 12 months, plus tuition
    Plus one family member $4000 for 12 months
    Plus each additional family member $3000 for each additional family member for 12 months
  2. Study Plan
    In addition, it is strongly encouraged to include a study plan with your study permit application. A study plan explains to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) why you chose your institution in Canada and what your long-term objectives are.
  3. Processing Times
    The study permit application process varies from region to region, and can in some cases take six months or longer. For this reason, plan to receive your letter of acceptance at least 6 months before you are due to commence your studies.
  4. Possible Police Clearances and Medical Examinations
    Depending on your circumstances, you may be required to undergo police background checks and a medical examination.

Get a study permit through the Student Direct Stream (SDS)

If you are a legal resident in China, India, the Philippines, or Vietnam you can get your study permits faster by using the Student Direct Stream (SDS). Information on applying for your study permit through the SDS can be found on Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada’s website.

NBCC’s Designated Learning Number (DLI)

In order to receive a permit to study at New Brunswick Community College, you will need to include the school’s designated learning institution number (DLI) in your application to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

You can find your DLI number on your NBCC letter of acceptance, starting with the letter “O”. The number is O19391556439. Fredericton, Miramichi, Moncton, Saint John, St. Andrews and Woodstock campuses all use New Brunswick Community College’s DLI of O19391556439

Letter of Introduction

If your study permit application is approved by IRCC, you will receive a letter of introduction.The letter of introduction – also called the port of entry introduction letter – is not your study permit. When you enter Canada you will need to present this to get your study permit printed.

Applying for a Canadian Study Permit inside Canada

If you have legal status – such as a temporary resident visa - and are currently in Canada, you may be able to apply for your study permit inside the country. There are two scenarios where this may be particularly useful:

First, if you have taken a short course or program of study which is six months or less, and that course is a prerequisite for attending New Brunswick Community College, you may apply to change your conditions and get an initial study permit in Canada.

Second, if you are a secondary school student already in Canada and on a valid temporary resident visa (TRV) or visitors’ record, you may apply within Canada for your study permit.

For all other applications, you must apply online or by paper to a country outside Canada where you are a citizen or legal resident, or you can also apply by mail, or in person, to the visa application centre in Los Angeles, United States.

Applying for a Study Permit at the Border or Airport

Permanent residents and citizens of the United States, and residents of Greenland and St. Pierre and Miquelon, can apply for a study permit at the border or when entering Canada at an airport.

Graduating from a Canadian High School into NBCC

If you are an international student graduating from a Canadian high school, you will need a new study permit to attend NBCC.

The study permit you possess for attending a secondary school does not allow you to study at the college level. You can obtain a new study permit if you follow the same process required to extend your study permit.

In some cases, you can renew your study permit or get a new study permit online or by paper if you are in Canada. It is not advisable to apply to change your study permit conditions from outside Canada, so if you are visiting your home country or another country, and your study permit expires, you should contact a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), or Canadian Immigration Lawyer.

Extending Your Study Permit

You must apply before the expiration of your study permit if you would like to continue studying in Canada. It is recommended you apply at least three months before the expiry of your status, to allow for processing time. If you apply for extension, you must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original study permit (i.e.: you cannot quit school and begin working). You can remain in Canada; however, if you leave, you will lose your status.


If you have any further questions about any of this information, please contact us at