Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a study permit and a temporary resident visa (TRV)?
A temporary resident visa (TRV) allows you to enter Canada, while a study permit allows you to remain studying in a Canadian institution. Some people need both a study permit and a travel visa, whereas citizens of some countries do not require a visa. All students studying in Canada for periods of more than 6 months will require a study permit. See TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISAS.

How do I apply for a study permit? Where can I file my application?
There are a number of ways to apply for a study permit depending on your current status and location. It’s imperative to choose the correct path or risk refusal or delays. See STUDY PERMITS.

I would like to bring my minor children with me to Canada.
It can be complex to apply for study authorization for your school-aged children, as some require study permits, while others do not. See SPOUSES AND FAMILIES OF NBCC STUDENTS

I like to bring my spouse with me to Canada.

What is NBCC’s designated learning number (DLI)? Why do I need it?
You can find your DLI number on your letter of acceptance: O19391556439. Fredericton, Miramichi, Moncton, Saint John, St. Andrews, Woodstock campuses all use New Brunswick Community College’s DLI of O19391556439

How long will it take for my study permit to be processed?
This depends on your country of origin or residence in the visa office responsible for processing your permit. Check current processing times.

I do not have all my documents. Should I submit my application and then amend it after I receive them?
No. Your submission for a study permit application must be complete. If any documents are missing, the visa officers will likely make a decision on the application without giving you a second chance to upload or submit a missing document.

Will I need to issue the results of a medical exam?
If you have lived for six or more months in a country designated as a high risk for certain communicable diseases (in the last year) and intend to remain in Canada for more than six months, then you will need to do a medical exam and submit this with your study permit application. For work permit and co-op work permit purposes, certain people need to do a medical exam, to remove conditions barring work in certain fields such as hospitals and schools.

Do I need to include a police certificate with my application for study permit?
In certain cases you may need a criminal records check. If this is required of you, if necessary to get a police certificate from every country or territory in which you have resided for more than six months since you turned the age of 18. These are required to determine if applicants are security risk to Canada.

What reasons might my study permit application get refused?
Visa officers need to determine all applications individually on their merits. When assessing application for temporary residency (visas and permits), visa officers need to first determine whether the applicant is a bona fide (genuine) student. Bona fide factors include such information as:

  • why the student has chosen this particular program in light of their past academic history and future intentions
  • how the student intends to support themselves during their studies
  • the student’s obligations to their home country
  • whether or not applicant is likely to leave Canada after their status ends

For this reason, it is important to take your application seriously and include information to support your desires to come to Canada as a genuine student. For more information seek out information from IRCC here.

What can I do with my application is refused?
There are limited options available to students whose applications for a study permit have been refused. You may either reapply - making sure to satisfy the officer about the concerns listed on your refusal - or contest the negative decision in court. If you decide to contest the decision it will require a Canadian lawyer if you are not in Canada. In either case you should consult with an RCIC or Canadian immigration lawyer.

What is a Letter of Introduction?
If your study permit application is approved, you will receive a letter of introduction. The letter of introduction – also called “the port of entry introduction letter” – is not your study permit. When you enter Canada you will need to present this to get a study permit printed.

I would like to extend my study permit? What should I do?
You must apply before the expiration of your study permit if you would like to continue studying in Canada. Schools recommend you apply at least three months before the expiry of your status, to allow for processing time. If you apply for extension, you must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original study permit (i.e.: you cannot quit school and begin working).

What happens if my study permit expires?
If you have not applied for an extension before your study permit expires, you must stop studying - and working – immediately. Failure to do so will result in you falling out-of-status. This can have very serious consequences and you may be removed from Canada. See STUDY PERMITS

What happens if I lose my study permit?
If you lose your study permit you will need to apply for a replacement document by launching an application called “a replacement of an immigration document”. If this happens to you, you may continue studying in Canada, but in order to leave the country, you should not leave, until a copy of a valid study permit has been approved and sent to you.

Can I stay in Canada after I complete studying at NBCC?