What to do Before Graduation

Are You Going to Graduate Soon?

Congratulations, you have almost fulfilled the requirements for graduation and are deciding what is next for you.

Your Status in Canada: What You Need to Know

You can stay in Canada after you graduate, but only for a limited time. Your study permit is usually written with an expiry date of 90 days after you complete your studies. Before that date, you must make one of the following applications or you will lose your status in Canada.

Apply to Work in Canada

If you are eligible for a post-graduation work permit, you must submit a complete application before the 90 day period elapses. After that, you will no longer be eligible.

Apply to Change your Status as a Visitor

If you are in Canada, and would like to remain temporarily after completing your studies, you must apply for a “visitors’ record”, either online, on paper, or – in certain cases – at a Canadian Port of Entry. Please note: once you change your status to a visitor, you will not be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit.

Apply to Stay in Canada Permanently

Certain students may be eligible to stay in Canada permanently as immigrants. Canada has many unique categories for permanent residency, at both Federal and Provincial levels, including the Canadian Experience Class, Provincial Nominee Program, Federal Skilled Trades Class, and others. Some categories are catered specifically for students, whereas others may be beneficial to international students who have graduated in Canada with the right combination of education, work experience, language skills, and other factors.

Should you need help, you are encouraged to seek the advice of a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) or a Canadian Immigration Lawyer, as they are the only two professionals licensed to give you evaluative advice on all your options. NBCC does not give its students interpretation of their immigration options.