Temporary Resident Visas and Electronic Travel Authorizations

In addition to a study permit, most students will need a travel document to enter Canada. The type of travel document depends on your country of citizenship. These documents are known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The difference between a study permit and a travel document is distinct: a travel document allows you to enter Canada and a study permit allows you to remain in Canada. Most students will need a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada - not both.