Visas, Permits, and Immigration

Due to recent IRCC changes, please see Updated International Application Process.

Studying and moving to a new country can be a bit overwhelming. On this page, we have pulled together all the relevant information for those looking to study, work, and immigrate to Canada.

NBCC is here to support international students as they navigate the Canadian immigration system and the information on this page has been reviewed by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). Be aware, however, that immigration policies can change without notice. For the most current and accurate information, you should always refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website: Study in Canada as an international student -

Kindly note that the information on this page does not, and is not intended to constitute legal advice, and instead all information, content and material is for general information purposes only. Students are solely responsible for their own research and legal advice in order to ensure that they are in compliance with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations in order to gain entry to and at all times during their time in Canada, including, but not limited to, any medical or study and work permit related requirements. 

For more information on opportunities to stay permanently in the Province of New Brunswick, please visit With an abundance of exciting career opportunities, over 12,000 annually and counting, New Brunswick is recruiting skilled people, like you, who want to grow in a province where their unique knowledge, culture, and perspectives are valued.


Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) made an announcement on January 22, 2024, that will directly impact prospective international students who wish to study in Canada. You can review the IRCC news release here.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will be setting a cap on the number of study permit approvals issued for a two-year period (2024-2025). The New Brunswick cap will be provided to the provincial government and the province will distribute the New Brunswick cap amongst the designated learning institutions in New Brunswick, including NBCC.

As part of this cap implementation, as of January 22, 2024, all study permit applications will require a letter of attestation from the province. Provinces have until March 31, 2024, to establish a process to issue these letters of attestation.

At this time, you should not submit a study permit application until you have received additional information from NBCC about the process for requesting a letter of attestation.

Learn more about the following topics to better help prepare yourself for your journey to Canada.

International Student Immigration Information Sessions

NBCC hosts live information sessions with our International Immigration Advisor, who is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). This is an opportunity for prospective students to ask questions and learn more about the immigration process in Canada. These 30-minute sessions will provide you with all the information you need about navigating the Canadian immigration system. Click here to view upcoming information sessions and watch past recordings. 


The resources and guide below have been created by NBCC’s International Immigration Advisor to best prepare our students to navigate the immigration process.

Spouses and Families of NBCC Students

Canada’s immigration policy allows certain family members of students to visit, work and/or study in Canada.

Family Members Wanting to Visit

Family members can visit you during your studies at NBCC.  They must have permission to enter and remain in Canada and meet certain conditions. Close family members, such as your partner or dependent children, may also benefit from your status – allowing them to work or study – while in Canada.

Work Permit for Your Partner

If you are a full-time student at New Brunswick Community College, your partner (a spouse or common-law partner) may be able to work while you study.

Your partner will need a separate work permit, also called a spousal open work permit. This permit allows your partner to work for any employer – with a small number of exceptions - and anywhere in Canada. It will only remain valid for the duration of your study permit.

If have recently graduated from NBCC and are working on a Post-Graduation Work Permit in a job that is at Skill Level O, A, or B, in Canada’s National Occupational Classification, your partner may also receive an open work permit.

Important: an open work permit may exclude a small number of occupations (such as jobs in hospitals or schools). These conditions may be removed with a medical examination conducted in Canada by a panel physician, provided that exam is included with your partners application.

Your Minor Children and Study Authorization

In New Brunswick, a minor is defined as a person under the age of 19. If your child or children are already in Canada (and you or your partner is a temporary resident of Canada with a valid study or work permit), your children are authorized to study at the pre-school, primary or secondary level. In this case, these children in Canada must possess a visitor’s visa or record.

When applying from overseas and your children are still outside Canada, however, you will need to apply for a study permit for all children and other family members that intend to join you for six months or longer. Should your child be staying with a relative or other individual, a custodianship form is required.

How to Apply

If your family will all be arriving in Canada at the same time, you should fill out one application for your entire family. However, a work permit can be obtained for your partner after arrival.

When extending after arrival, however, separate applications are required for each individual. In any extension or change to your status, always make sure to record the date of expiry on your study permit or work permit and insist on applying more than 30 days before its expiry.


If you have any further questions about any of this information, please contact us at