Visas, Permits, and Immigration

Return to Table of Contents


As required by law, New Brunswick Community College will periodically report on each international student’s enrolment status to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This means, you must make timely and reasonable progress towards completing your study program, and maintaining your immigration status in Canada.

Taking a Break

If you are thinking about taking a semester off, your study and work rights could be affected. Please check with your NBCC advisor, if you’d like to take time away from your studies.

Keeping Required Documents

You should always keep your passport, visa, study and or work permit, and family information on hand whenever you travel in and out of Canada. You should also keep photocopies of each document and an electronic document in a secure place that you can access online or off.

As you will be re-examined upon entering Canada after you travel, it is important to remember that you must have all of your documentations on your person. Note that you may need to provide financial documentation to show that you continue to be able to meet the costs of your studies in Canada. Failure to do so may result in being refused entry.

If your health or legal status changes while in Canada, it is good to contact a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) or Canadian Immigration Lawyer before you leave the country.

Keeping your Documents Up-to-date / When to extend

Type of document

Timeframe to extend your document


A minimum of 6 months before the expiration date

Study Permit,co-op work permit

A minimum of 4 to 5 months before the expiration date

Temporary Resident Visa(TRV)

Before the expiration date. In some cases you may apply after the expiration date if you have applied for a study or work permit and are not yet intending to leave and re-enter Canada.

Social Insurance Number(SIN)

Before the expiration date of your SIN

Expired Study Permits

If you have not applied for an extension before your study permit expires, you must stop studying - and working – immediately. Failure to do so will result in you falling out-of-status.

In the event of falling out-of-status, you will have to apply for a restoration of your status. An application for restoration can only be done within Canada. You will not be able to leave the country until such time that an officer makes a decision on your case. These decisions can take several months and it’s important to remember that you are not guaranteed a new study permit if you have to apply for restoration.

Lost Study Permits

if you lose your study permit you will need to apply for a replacement document by launching an application called a replacement of an immigration document. If this happens to you, you may continue studying in Canada, but in order to leave the country, you should not leave, until a copy of a valid study permit has been approved and sent to you.

Return to Table of Contents