With $15.2 million of the $16 million goal raised, NBCC’s Going Beyond campaign has reached the 95 per cent mark, thanks to the generosity of more than 800 donors throughout the province. This milestone is already resonating at campuses throughout New Brunswick, as learners access barrier-breaking technology, bursaries, and skills training.
With every dollar donated, NBCC is closer to its goal of transforming New Brunswick’s workforce by breaking down the barriers that keep people from accessing post-secondary education. As New Brunswick faces the triple threat of an aging workforce, the lowest post-secondary attainment rate in the country, and the highest percentage of jobs most at risk of technological disruption, it’s more important than ever to make skills training opportunities accessible to all.
“Response to the Going Beyond campaign has been phenomenal and many of the dollars raised have already gone to work, providing direct financial assistance in the form of scholarships and bursaries to students,” said Mary Butler, President and CEO of NBCC. “As we continue towards the finish line, we’re focusing on raising additional funds to create future-forward learning spaces with the most up-to-date, innovative tools and technology to give our students a world-class educational experience.” The impact of gifts from generous partners is already benefitting learners, including:
- Craig Manufacturing’s $100,000 donation, which is helping modernize learning spaces at the College;
- AV Group’s $100,000 gift, which is removing barriers to education by supporting students financially, and funding technology, equipment, and other initiatives that will take training into communities; and
- Graybar Canada’s $75,000 donation, which is helping to create spaces for learners to connect, study, and work collaboratively—just as they will in the workplace.
“Now more than ever, New Brunswick needs NBCC to meet the labour challenges we face as a province,” said Jim Irving, Co-CEO of J.D. Irving, Limited, and Chair of NBCC’s Going Beyond campaign. “An investment in the College is an investment in New Brunswick’s future. NBCC’s exceptional learners become outstanding employees, empowered entrepreneurs, inspired innovators, and confident community leaders. Together, we can ensure New Brunswick’s workforce is ready to meet our province’s ever-evolving needs.”
Going Beyond is NBCC’s first fundraising campaign, charting a course for NBCC to:
- accelerate skills development by creating fast, flexible training opportunities such as microcredentials and shorter pathways to certification;
- innovate educational delivery by creating modern, connected spaces, and introducing new technology such as accessible HyFlex classrooms, surface hubs, and simulation labs; and
- reach unprecedented numbers of New Brunswickers by reducing financial barriers to post-secondary education through targeted bursaries for under-represented groups such as Indigenous students, women in trades, and people of colour.
For more information or to get involved, visit nbccgoingbeyond.ca.
About NBCC: As one of New Brunswick’s largest postsecondary education institutions, NBCC drives social and economic wellbeing across the province. NBCC welcomes 11,000 learners each year through quality-assured, relevant training opportunities. Supported by the Going Beyond campaign, NBCC is committed to accelerating skills development, innovating educational delivery, and reaching unprecedented numbers of New Brunswickers. Find out more at: www.nbcc.ca.
Media Contact: Tanya Greer, Lead, Strategic Communications
Tel: (506) 440-9105