NBCC students and staff are going out into their communities and giving back tomorrow, Wednesday, October 7 – one of two designated Service Days planned for this academic year.
Through NBCC’s award-winning Robertson Institute for Community Leadership, a Signature Learning Experience has become the heart of creating a culture of leadership and service. Last year, NBCC staff and students contributed 12,651 hours of service to nearly 200 community projects on the College’s first Service Day.
This year, NBCC looks forward to building on this momentum. Here is a sample of volunteer and service learning activities taking place tomorrow:
||Service Day Activities
- Office Administration Bilingual and Office Administration Medical students are volunteering to help the Fredericton Community Kitchen prepare for their annual mail-out campaign – everything from printing, stuffing and labelling 3600 letters.
- Power Engineering Technology students and faculty are doing a community clean-up along MacDonald Street for ACAP Saint John.
- Office Administration students are volunteering at the Romero House Soup Kitchen, doing year-end clean-up at the Cherry Brook Zoo, as well as organizing activities and cleaning up at Joshua Group, a safe place for at risk-youth.
- Carpentry students are constructing classroom benches for St. Stephen Middle School.
- Electrical Construction students are teaming up with Spindrifters, an organized seniors group in St. Andrews, to help with outdoor chores around the property including raking, stacking wood, preparing their garden for winter.
- Practical Nurse and Pharmacy Technician students are volunteering with Blankets for Moncton to help sort and organize blankets, bedding and household item, as well as raking and preparing Honour Park for the winter.
- Animation students are drawing pet caricatures with donations going to the Miramichi SPCA. The public is invited to bring a photo of their pet to the Campus or to Water Street Gallery.
- Digital Photography students are organizing a photo shoot with 12 cancer survivors to create a Cancer Survivor Calendar.
For more information or to arrange interviews, please contact:
Misty Wade Hovey
Communications Officer, NBCC