Visas, Permits, and Immigration

Return to Table of Contents

Temporary Resident Visas

In addition to a study permit, students from most countries will need a visa to enter Canada. This document is known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). The difference between a study permit and a Temporary Resident Visa is distinct: a TRV allows you to enter Canada and a study permit allows you to remain in Canada.


TRVs are usually valid for the duration of your study permit.


There are 2 types of TRVs: single-entry and multiple-entry TRVs.

  • A single-entry TRV allows its bearer to enter Canada only once. If you leave Canada, other than to the United States and St. Pierre and Miquelon, you will need a new visa to enter the country.
  • A multiple-entry TRV lets you leave and re-enter Canada repeatedly for the length of its validity.

TRV Exemptions

Depending on your citizenship, you may exempt from the TRV requirement. The citizens of the following countries are exempt from the requirement to first obtain a temporary resident visa to enter Canada:

  • Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only) , Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Latvia (Republic of),Liechtenstein, Lithuania*, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand , Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland*, Portugal, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United States; *Only if they have an e-passport.
  • persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;
  • British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom;
  • citizens of British dependent territories who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands;
  • persons holding a British National (Overseas) Passport issued by the Government of the United Kingdom to persons born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong;
  • British subjects who hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom and who have the "right of abode" there;
  • persons holding a valid and subsisting Special Administrative Region passport issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China;
  • Persons holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See;
  • Persons holding an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes their personal identification number.

Return to Table of Contents